Sunday, December 4, 2011

Skinning Knives

My grandfather had a drawer full of knives that I used to look through as a kid. In that drawer was an Old Timer Sharp Finger. It was a cool knife that he would use to butcher cows with, but it didn't hold a very good edge. So I re-designed it a little so that I could make it out of a 1 inch wide piece of steel. For these knives I used 1/8" thick CPM-S30V. I am getting ready to make another batch out of ATS-34.


The top knife has canvas Micarta scales with stainless steel pins. It was made about three or four years ago for a friend at work.


The second knife has black paper Micarta scales, brass dovetailed bolsters, red liners and mosaic pins that I made myself. It was made a year ago for a friend at work. He gave it to his son as a birthday gift. They used it this year on a really nice buck that his son shot.


The fourth picture shows a knife that I made three years ago with Cocobolo scales and stainless steel pins. My old boss bought it from me.

Next is one that I made with multi-colored Diamondwood scales around the same time as the others. I don't remember who bought it.

Last is one with blue Diamondwood scales that my Dad bought from me. I used bolt style rivets that I really like. They give a bulls eye effect on one side of the knife and there is no way that the handle will come off. He still has it and would be willing to sell it if anyone was interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment